Hello everyone! I made it safely to Korea. My two connecting flights in Denver and Los Angeles were really close, but I did make it. The travel time was long, but was actually not too bad. The flight to Korea had personal tv screens on the back of each seat, with a selection of about 20 movies and some tv shows available to watch. I put on probably about 5 movies during the course of the 13 hour flight and fell asleep during each one of them. They were clearly really good movies worth watching.
I made a couple of friends on the way over, Lisa who is from Denver but just graduated from Washington University, and Brandon who went to Hamline in the Twin Cities. We talked quite a bit whenever we walked around during the flight, and they both are not too far from where I am staying. When we arrived in Seoul, oddly enough, we saw all three of our names rotating on the baggage carousel. As it turns out, they somehow didn't get our luggage over. All I could do was laugh because I had prepared for this with what I brought in my carry-on, clothes for a few days, a pair of dress shoes, and travel size toiletries. I was just really glad I thought about it ahead of time. Not having a personal phone number to give them, I gave them the phone number for the school, and they'll call the school when my luggage gets in and deliver it.
As soon as I filled out the missing luggage paperwork, and walked out, I saw a Dunkin Donuts. Turns out they have them all over here, and one right by the school. I guess I know where I can get my coffee fix. Mike came and picked me up from the airport and took me to my hotel. I will be staying here until about Saturday, when the teacher (Kendra) whose place I am taking leaves. It is a pretty nice hotel room, and I have this lovely computer with internet. There is not wireless in the hotel, so I won't put up any pictures until I use my personal computer with the internet. Right after I got in here, Terrance and Megan (two American teachers from New York from my school) came over and showed me around the neighborhood and we went and got some dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant which was really good. The menu was in English and Korean so that made it very easy.
The neighborhood I am in is really great, only a couple blocks from the subway, and so many places to eat and shop nearby.
Well believe it or not I am pretty tired and it is 10:22 pm here, so I am headed to bed. Have a great day everyone!
-Emily
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi, Emily! I got to leave it to you--you are so prepared! It sounds awesome that you've already met some people and are on top of the game. It's 7:30 a.m. here, and I'm off to school. I checked SKYPE but you weren't on, so hope you get this message and we can use FB and your blog to find out when we can SKYPE! Have a great beginning of a HUGE adventure. I'm so excited for you. Oh, did you mean to leave your tennis shoes? Oh, well. I bet they sell them there! Love you! Linda
i'm glad you made it safely, tho without luggage. coffee is overrated. i hope you have a great time! i love you and miss you., be safe!
dad
Post a Comment