Every week, I send home comment books to the parents of my kindergarten students. Last week, I just introduced myself, and said a little bit about each child. Some of the parents responded in English and others responded in Korean, and my supervisor translated it into English for me. Some teachers find this tedious, but I actually really like doing it! I think it's a great way to communicate with the parents who I don't always see, since most of the kids take the bus to and from school. The general consensus so far is that my students told their parents that I am pretty and kind. (Thought it was kind of odd to mention physical appearance, but it is perhaps another cultural thing.) Let's hope they at least continue to think the latter! Also, one thing I really appreciate about Korean culture is that the parents are not in denial when their kid is bad. The one (kind of) troublemaker I have in class had their parent write that she knows that he can cause trouble sometimes and that I can let her know about it and what I think she can do at home to help. This is not only my class, either. Several other teachers have been brought presents or treats from parents as apologies for their children behaving badly. I have found to be the case with several of my misbehaved students in the US that parents are in denial that their child could be doing wrong, and I am glad that is not the case here.
Today I left school a little early to go apply for my Alien Registration Card. This will enable me to travel outside of Korea once I get the chance and open my bank account. Right now, the Visa I have is single entry, so I can't travel outside the country until I get the card in a couple weeks. It was a lot like going to the DMV...except a little worse in terms of wait. I picked number 661, and they were only on number 580 when I got there. Thankfully it only took about an hour and a half, but I was a bit frightened when I saw where my place in line was. With all that done, they should be getting me my card soon!
I got my first piece of mail today from my friend Karen. Apparently it took only a little over a week to get here. She didn't use stamps, but went to the post office and only paid about $1. It was card sized, to give you a point of reference. I think if you just use stamps it takes longer.
That's all from me for now, it's my bed time. Enjoy your Tuesday everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment