I have discovered from being here so far that Seoul is a very easy place for foreigners to live. While several signs are exclusively in Korean, there are still many that are in English. Almost all cab drivers also have a free interpretation hotline to call so that they can translate into Korean where you are going to the cab driver. If I am just going home, though, all I have to do is show them my Alien Registration Card which has my address on it in Korean. All the subway signs are also in Korean, English, and Chinese. When you are riding on the subway, they announce the stops in Korean and English. When I think about a Korean going to a big city in the United States, I know it must be so much harder for them. Unless you go to a Korean part of town, hardly anything is in Korean, and especially with public transit, everything is in English.
I have also discovered from being here that it is indeed a small world. On Saturday I met someone who was from Evanston and went to Evanston Township. We talked about Evanston and my former summer (beach) workplace and all the places to eat. It was crazy to be having this conversation with someone in Seoul! Then yesterday, I met two people from Minnesota who both know people that I know. The one girl I met knew someone who I was in choir with and lived next door to me last year!
My first three day weekend is in May, and I'm trying to plan a trip for that weekend. I might be potentially going on an island trip then, we'll see. Happy Sunday Western World!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment