Hello everyone! We have started yet another week in Soto (they abbreviate it that way often). This weekend was relaxing and a good chance to get some work done for everyone. I began rehearsing the choir for their mini-tour to shopping malls, happening December 10 and 11. This has become a tradition with the choir at the school, and they take any money they earn from this mini-tour and donate it to charity.
This weekend was exciting for teachers and students alike as Becky, an M5 student was in the finals of the WOW Factor! The WOW Factor is a competition similar to American Idol/Britain’s X Factor, except only open to residents on the Costa del Sol. The winner of the finals last night won the prize of recording time and an automatic entry into Britain’s X Factor. I worked with Becky one on one several times to prepare her and her songs for performance last (Sunday) night. There were twelve finalists altogether, 9 female soloists, one female group, one male group and one solo male. Becky’s first song was “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”, the version by Eva Cassidy. After the first round, the four judges picked six of the twelve to perform again to decide a winner. Becky was clearly one of the strongest competitors, so made it through to perform again. Her second song choice was “Hero” by Mariah Carey. She hit every note flawlessly and put on a very strong performance. However, it came down to her and the one male competitor, Christian. Christian beat her out, but Becky took it in stride and was very happy with her performance. We were all very proud of her! I took video, but as I started uploading it to YouTube, it told me it was going to take 3 hours, and I do not have that much time to upload it, so I'll show it to anyone who is interested when I get back.
Aside from that, I have been taking over M4 with music theory. I gave them a pre-test on music theory, and out of 20, the scores averaged below 10, with the high score being 17 and the low score being one. There is a lot for everyone to learn about theory, and the pre-test gave me a good idea about where they are. I have also been team teaching with Kerry with the M1, M2, and M3 students. The M5 students are working on a composition project in Garage Band, so I help when I can, but most of the work is in their hands.
That’s all I have for now. Have a great day!
-Emily
0 comments:
Post a Comment