La cultura

on Friday, November 6, 2009

I would like to in this blog post talk about things I have learned about Spanish culture so far.


One thing that I noticed is that people do not get married as often in Spain. It seems like most places where you are in America, there is a large population of people my age and older who are married. I asked my friend Maria about this and she said that over here they think Americans don't take marriage as seriously as they do in Spain. She said that most people she knows who are married dated for a very long time before they got married.

Another thing I notice is a lot of smoking. Soon in Spain, smoking will not be allowed in public places, but for now it still is and there are many people who smoke. There are vending machines in several establishments to buy cigarettes. While it says on the machine that you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, they are not monitored closely, so it is very easy for those under the age of 18 to get a hold of cigarettes.

One thing that I find myself forgetting is siesta time. Siesta is a time in the afternoon (usually 2-4) where stores close down for a break. Chelsey and I wanted to go shopping the other day, and walked to downtown Estepona only to realize that we had arrived during siesta time.

Other than that, we went to karaoke the other night and every one of the six of us sang. I sang "Flashdance" by Irene Cara, "Killer Queen" by Queen, "Single Ladies" by Beyonce, and "Because of You," by Kelly Clarkson. The karaoke DJ liked us because we kind of got the ball rolling.

That's all from me for now, I added more photos so check them out!

-Emily

0 comments:

Post a Comment