Hola! After several attempts with the picture uploader on the website, I find it is not working well with slow internet speeds in this internet cafe (which is my primary way to access the internet). However, I have created a picture website at http://emoran87.shutterfly.com/. It does take a long time for pictures to upload on Shutterfly, so there are only ten on there right now. I feel like this will give you a good idea though of my surroundings, so take a look!
This week has been crazy so far for the music department. There is a concert and fireworks on Friday, for their Halloween party. They do not run things like we do in America. (Which is ok with me.) There have been several students in the last few days who have decided to add a song to the performance set. The kids here have incredible voices, it's really a joy to hear them sing. I find it very interesting that here they perform a lot of American music, including tunes that I listened to while I was in junior high and high school as well as some I still listen to now. (Coldplay, Sum 41, Snow Patrol, AC/DC, Beach Boys, Alien Ant Farm, etc.) I find it interesting because in American vocal music curriculum we study many European composers and tend to stay away from Americans, and here they are doing the exact opposite. The nice thing for me is that I know all the songs and feel like I can really give them constructive feedback since I am so familiar with the songs. I also might be performing for the event on Friday, but am still not sure and need to finalize with Kerry if I am or not. He is also having me conduct the choir on the Snow Patrol song they are singing, "Run", and threw me into that today. It took me back a little bit, but I'm excited for the opportunity.
Kerry teaches levels M1-M5. In America, this is equivalent to 6-10th grade. If I so choose (which I will) I can also have the opportunity to work with the primary music teacher when Kerry teaches technology a few times a week.
I taught my first lesson yesterday, for a portion of the class period. The students in M2 are learning how to sing, so Kerry had me introduce some basic techniques and ideas of harmony to them. Their main goal for the unit is to learn about polyphony and then create their own polyphonic piece as an end result. Deb (our supervisor) came to watch me and said she was very impressed with Kerry and with me, so that was good to hear.
I love Spain. It is beautiful here and I am really enjoying Spanish culture so far. I might be going to Granada this weekend to see the Alhambra and visit and stay with my friend Maria. I'm going to travel as much as possible while I'm here.
The staff here is great. They are very helpful and have been giving us rides a couple of times this week so we don't have to take the bus. We also get served a light snack early in the day and lunch at the school, which has been delightful so far, though I might get sick of it by the end. I heard some of the other girls I'm with talking about how they can't wait to get back to American food, and I am nowhere near that mindset. Bring on more Spanish food! :-)
That's all from me for now. Have a great rest of the day everyone!
-Emily
2 comments:
Wow! I loved looking at the pictures! They loaded super fast--no problem whatsoever. Take some pictures of the school and your room, too, when you get a chance. It is fascinating hearing how quickly you jumped into it all and how they are doing American music from a while back. If you sing in the concert, what will you sing? Who is Kerry? Is that one of the student teachers? Let us know the names of the girls you are living with when you get a chance. It looks soooo beautiful! What an adventure! Linda :)
Kerry is my cooperating teacher as I said in my last entry. The other girls are Kate, Alysha, Callie, Chelsea, and Laura.
Post a Comment